Invisalign braces are a form of aligners made from transparent, BPA-free plastic. They help to adjust the shape of teeth and correct jaw problems. An Invisalign-trained specialist takes the 3D scan of teeth and jaws and devises a treatment plan depending upon your unique smile. The specialist will then develop different trays of flexible plastic. The trays are to be worn 20–22 hours per day for 1–2 weeks then a new set of Invisalign aligners is worn. These aligners gently and slowly push the crowded and spaced teeth to a proper alignment.
The Invisalign braces are worn until the desired smile is achieved. The average duration of treatment varies between 12–18 months but the length of treatment usually depends upon the complexity of the individual cases.
You may be wondering how Invisalign braces compare to traditional metal braces. The following is a comparison of traditional metal braces and Invisalign braces.
- Traditional braces treatment length varies between 1–3 years depending upon individual case while Invisalign braces treatment lasts between 12 months to 2 years.
- Metal braces are permanent and need to be tightened on every visit whereas Invisalign braces can be removed easily and need a new set depending upon the new position of teeth.
- Oral cleaning is difficult with metal braces while Invisalign aligners are removable hence it is easy to maintain oral hygiene. They can be removed while brushing or having a meal.
- Metal braces are to be worn every time during the treatment while Invisalign braces are to be worn 22 hours per day.
- In the case of metal braces, a patient needs to visit the orthodontist every month while Invisalign aligner sets are easy to be worn hence require a visit to the orthodontist every 3 months.
- Metal braces can be used by kids and adults but Invisalign braces are only suitable for adults.
Invisalign aligners are a gentle and moderate way of teeth straightening. It is suitable for people who don't want the braces to be seen. However, these braces are not recommended for complex cases and more crowded teeth. Invisalign aligners are used by over a million people and it is safe for a bright smile. However, these braces are not recommended for kids and complex cases and more crowded teeth.
This is just a brief overview of your options. If you have more questions about Invisalign braces, contact local orthodontists. They'll let you know whether they fit your specific needs.